No one is 100 percent certain of the number of people who died in World War 2 but it experts believe the figure is around the 50-70 million people killed in as a result of World War 2. It can vary as to were you look, as for example Wikipedia has a great article on how many people died in world war 2 World War2 which leans towards the scary figure of 72 million people.
It is important to note that these figures are even more scary when you break them down.
World War 2 was split into two sides, the Allies (UK, USA) and Axis (Germany Italy and Japan) Of those killed, 61 million were on the Allied side and 11 million were on the Axis side, so the losses where massive.
It is important to note that not all the deaths were soldiers, lots of civilians, Jews, Women and Children were also killed.
A brief summary of the number of dead can be found below:
- Germany the overall total is given as just under 7.4 million.
- Soviet soldiers roughly around 8.7 million Soviet soldiers died in World War 2.
- British 700,000 military casualitits and 60,000 civilian deaths
- Estimated USSR losses now stand at 26.6 million.
- Poland’s dead at between 5.6 and 5.8 million.
- German military dead and missing at 5.3 million.
- USA military dead is around 416,800 people
Casualties listed here include about 4 to 12 million war-related famine deaths in China, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, India that are often omitted from other compilations of World War II casualties.
Image Rights ScouseTiegan